Museums and Galleries Exhibition Tax Relief (MGETR) was introduced in April 2017. The scheme allows qualifying exhibitions to receive a payable tax credit from HMRC.
Applicants must be a charitable company or local authority which maintains a museum.
Qualifying for Museums and Galleries Exhibition Tax Relief
An exhibition does not qualify for MGETR if:
- it is organised in connection with a competition;
- the purpose of (or one of the main purposes) of the exhibition is the sale of anything on display;
- it involves a live performance by any person, except where it is an incidental part of the exhibition; or
- it involves the display of anything that is alive.
- There are other complex rules which need to be adhered to in order to claim this tax credit. Please contact us for further guidance.